A Signature Program exists in all 12 Anne Arundel County Public High Schools. Visit the AACPS Signature Program Home Page for county wide signature information.
The Signature Program:
- Reflects the interests and values of the community through a theme that is unique to each high school.
- Encourages collaboration between business experts and teachers to bring 21st Century Skills into the classroom.
- Provides workforce-relevant educational activities.
- Educates students about skills and qualifications necessary to succeed in a given field.
- Brings stimulating activities to students and teachers that make learning exciting.
- Provides opportunities for students to examine current events and workforce trends.
- Offers opportunities for students to explore the careers, activities, and importance of the fields related to the Signature Program.
- Includes pathways to future post-secondary opportunities; technical & community colleges, four-year universities, and military careers.
Southern High School's Signature Program - Design: Preservation and Innovation.
means to have a vision and to create a plan. Design is the engine by which businesses, communities, and individuals grow.
is necessary for survival and success. New practices and materials are introduced which require standards necessary to serve as yardsticks for quality assurance. Design achieves its promise when we are aware of what to preserve and where we want to go.
allows people to create better ways to live or conduct business. They evaluate needs, available resources, values, and timelines, and often they need something new.
Signature Benefits Students:
Students complete high school highly qualified for both workforce and higher education experiences
Students grow into informed citizens in their communities and the world
Students experience opportunities to complete high school with technical certifications and college credits
Students consider the importance of their rural heritage and preservation of the areas fragile environment
- Interviewing techniques
- Business etiquette
- Decision making
- Design thinking
Studies show that design thinkers are the most prized employees in today’s world.
Contact Ms. Saunders to Volunteer and Connect
Mentor in Workplace Setting
- Job shadowing: Host students/teachers with employees at a work site so they may learn about jobs and the workplace
- Hire a student who works while in school
- Mini and summer internships
- Summer/evening bridge programs with OJT
Mentor in School Setting
- Research support
- Mentoring for signature
- Panel of experts to speak to students
- Mock interviews
- Competition advisor or judge
- After school tutoring
- Online career and workforce explorations
- Online tutoring
- Online club advisor